A couple of days ago there was a rumor that Sony is working on Wii-like controls for the PS3, and now Engadget reports they've received a tip from someone who claims Microsoft is working on a motion-sensing add-on for the Xbox 360 console as well. However, Microsoft solution will be more advanced, the source claims Microsoft is going to launch some kind of sensor bar with a camera and microphone. It will reportedly provide full body movement and sound detection, without needing to use any controllers.
It could be just a lame hoax, but it does sound pretty impressive if it's true.
Here's a quick rundown of capabilities mentioned:
* Full body and hand gesture control of games / characters.
* In fighting games you kick, punch, duck, dive, jump and so forth with your body.
* It also picks up small hand gestures like pinching, grabbing and scrolling.
* There will also be video conferencing and games with video.
* Trivia game over the internet with live images of each person playing. When a question pops up, they can clap to buzz in.
* You can "move objects on your screen" and the other party can see what you're doing in real time.
* Sensor detects only the person playing, not folks observing on the couch.