As data centers become larger and more complex, WD's third-generation high capacity enterprise SATA hard drives enhance vibration and shock tolerance and deploy new electronics to increase performance approximately 20 percent and by as much 60 percent in high-vibration environments.The WD RE3 is available in 250GB, 320GB and 500GB models for $79, $89 and $119, respectively.
"WD has continued to leverage its extensive experience gained from previous generation enterprise drives, as well as our enterprise-class WD VelociRaptor™ drives, to develop a hard drive perfectly suited for servers, network attached storage and storage networks," said Tom McDorman, vice president and general manager of enterprise storage solutions for WD. "WD's RE3 family offers the best combination of enhanced features, superior reliability, and optimum performance for enterprise applications."
In line with the WD RE drive heritage, WD RE3 drives feature 1.2 million hours MTBF, native command queuing (NCQ), time limited error recovery (TLER), and an extensive and enhanced testing process to ensure long-term reliability for demanding enterprise applications.
- Dual processor - Twice the processing power that results in a 20 percent
performance improvement over the previous generation.
- RAFF™ technology - Resulting in up to 60 percent performance improvement
over previous generation drives, WD's fourth-generation RAFF technology
includes sophisticated electronics to monitor the drive and correct both
linear and rotational vibration simultaneously, in real time for maximum
performance in high vibration environments.
- IntelliSeek™ technology - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power
consumption, noise and vibration in active seek modes without degrading
- Multi-axis shock sensor - An additional third sensor has been added to RE3
models to automatically detect the subtlest shock events and compensates to
protect the data.
- RAID-specific, Time-Limited Error Recovery (TLER) - Prevents drive fallout
caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop
- Third-generation dynamic fly height - With this next generation dynamic
fly height technology, each read-write head's fly height is adjusted in real
time for optimum reliability.
- Thermal extended burn-in test - Extended burn-in testing with thermal
cycling added to ensure only the most robust drives are produced as RAID
- NoTouch™ ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.