Intel cancells Pentium 4 4GHz

Posted on Thursday, Oct 14 2004 @ 23:32 CEST by Thomas De Maesschalck
Intel told its customers it will shelve the 4GHz Pentium 4 processor. The company planned to launch this processor in the first quarter of this year, but instead they are going to focus on improving other technologies within its processor line and deliver CPUs with larger cache memory.
"We have the ability to do a 4-GHz device, but we're pulling that team off to work on multicore designs and our StarT technologies," a spokesman said.

The StarT technologies include hyperthreading, security features, virtualization for desktop processors, virtualization for servers, 64-bit extensions, and Intel Active Management Technology, which enhances remote management of PC systems.

Intel will bring a 3.8-GHz Pentium 4 with 2-Mbit on-chip memory into general availability in the fourth quarter, the spokesman said. That device has previously been available only as an "Extreme Edition" processor aimed at high-performance systems.
Source: Information Week


About the Author

Thomas De Maesschalck

Thomas has been messing with computer since early childhood and firmly believes the Internet is the best thing since sliced bread. Enjoys playing with new tech, is fascinated by science, and passionate about financial markets. When not behind a computer, he can be found with running shoes on or lifting heavy weights in the weight room.



Loading Comments