There had been speculation that Samsung, which recently leapfrogged Nokia to become market leader in the UK, would unveil its first phone running Android at next week's Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona.
But Younghee Lee, head of marketing at Samsung's mobile device division, said there will be no Android phone at the show, but they are "planning internally" for a release in the second half of the year. She said the company is in negotiations with a number of operators about taking a Samsung-designed Android phone.
The news came as Samsung unveiled what it says will be one of its flagship handsets for the coming year - a slimmer version of its highly successful Tocco touchscreen device. In the latter half of last year, the original Tocco became the most popular phone for people signing up to a monthly contract in the UK. Samsung is hoping for similar success from the new version of the phone, which is expected to go on sale next month.
Samsung: No Android phones at MWC
Posted on Saturday, Feb 14 2009 @ 08:30 CET by Thomas De Maesschalck