The plaintiffs believe that day-to-day use, including winding the cable around the power adapter's pop-out guides, ends up destroying the cable over time -- and that Apple is aware of the problem but hasn't fully addressed it with a safer design.Pictured below is a burned Apple MagSafe adapter, uploaded to Flickr by Fox O'Rian.
All three at varying points have had to buy replacement MagSafe adapters for their systems that, in two cases, have already either needed a replacement or are showing signs of needing one. The plastic sheath on the cable in each circumstance was often melted away and exposed the bare wiring; Broad noted the heat was enough that it might have caused fire damage to his home if he hadn't been present to watch for the danger signs.
Class action suit targets fire-prone Apple MagSafe adapters
Posted on Thursday, May 07 2009 @ 15:41 CEST by Thomas De Maesschalck