WirelessHD announced its 2.0 specification, this new standard promises a bandwidth of 10 to 28Gbps, and offers support for 3D and 4K resolution.
The WirelessHD Consortium says the next-gen WirelessHD specs bring:
- Data transfer speeds in the range of 10 to 28 Gbps so as to provide enough bandwidth for higher resolution content
- 3D over WirelessHD
- Support for 4K resolution for digital theater-like visuals
- Support for sync'n go file transfers at 1Gbps for portable and fixed devices and for IP connectivity
- Added support for streaming and connectivity in portable devices like media players, netbooks and smartphones
- HDCP 2.0 content protection
The 2.0 standard will be backwards compatible with existing WiHD hardware, whilst as mentioned above, bandwidth increases from the previous 4GBps - theoretical 25Gbps to 10 - 28Gbps. This additional bandwidth gives the ability to handle all of the aforementioned tasks.