AMD has rolled out the ATI FirePro V8800, a new workstation graphics card based on the 40nm Cypress XT GPU. This new card features 1600 stream processors, 825MHz core clockspeed and 2GB GDDR5 memory clocked at 1150MHz. The ATI FirePro V8800 introduces ATI Eyefinity support to the workstation market, and offers support for OpenGL 4.0, OpenCL and DirectX 11. The card will be available for $1,499.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced today the launch of the first of a new family of ATI FirePro™ professional graphics solutions with ATI Eyefinity technology, delivering clear performance advances and productivity leadership. The ATI FirePro V8800—the industry’s most powerful professional graphics card ever created and the only professional graphics solution in the world supporting ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology and Microsoft® DirectX® 11 technology—is available for order today from AMD and its technology partners.
“AMD is the undisputed consumer graphics leader and today we’re bringing many of the same cutting edge innovations from our ATI Radeon™ HD 5000 series to the professional graphics market for the first time. The ATI FirePro V8800 with ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology effectively dissolves visual limitations for professionals,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Products Group. “Our ecosystem has never been stronger as we’re actively working with leading ISVs and OEMs on a global scale to offer unprecedented choice and advanced performance for handling today’s modern workloads. We’re confident the latest family of ATI FirePro professional graphics brings new value to the workstation graphics market.”
The ATI FirePro V8800 is an affordable (MSRP $1499 USD) and powerful solution, delivering 2.6 teraflops of raw computing power with the highest memory bandwidth (147.2 GB/s) available in any single-card professional graphics solution ─ more than two times the compute power of the previous generation ─ making it the ideal solution for manipulating large and complex photorealistic models in real-time. In the coming months AMD plans to round out its next-generation ATI FirePro family, offering a number of solutions to meet the various 2D and 3D needs of professionals working in CAD, Digital Content Creation (DCC), Broadcast, Medical Imaging and Financial Services.
ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology
With ATI Eyefinity technology, professionals can use up to 2x the screen workspace with a single card and increase productivity. Three and four display desktop configurations are simple to enable with the ATI FirePro V8800 – users only need to connect the additional displays to the graphics card.
* See more: with one ATI FirePro V8800 users can drive up to four independent 30” displays, enabling 16.4 million pixels in vivid color detail for a truly immersive environment.
* Expansive desktop space: manage multitasking more efficiently, and view more designs, applications and images at once.
* Speedy workflows: avoid time-wasting application-switching, window-sorting, mouse-clicking and scrolling.
* Single desktop: support for an intuitive Graphical User Interface allows configuration of a single desktop surface across multiple displays.
* Synchronized outputs: ATI Eyefinity technology works seamlessly with ATI FirePro™ S400 Synchronization Module, enabling up to four displays per graphics card to be synchronized at a time.
Support for industry standards
Next generation ATI FirePro professional graphics are designed for and ready to support leading industry standard application interfaces, including OpenGL®, OpenCL™ and DirectX® 11.
* Released by the Khronos Group in March, OpenGL® 4.0 includes a new tessellation feature that allows applications to amplify geometry, generating tessellated geometry based on incoming vertices and allowing professionals to take a rough object defined by only a few vertices and generate new vertices to smooth out the object and provide more detail. AMD has announced its support for OpenGL® through its beta driver for OpenGL® 4.0 and 3.3.
* OpenGL® 4.0 also further improves the close interoperability with the OpenCL™ industry standard for accelerating computationally or visually intensive applications.
* Next-generation ATI FirePro professional graphics are designed to accelerate OpenCL™ 1.0. Support for OpenCL™ 1.0 is available through AMD’s ATI Stream software development kit, which allows developers access to both AMD GPU and x86 CPU processors in a workstation or PC.
* The latest generation of ATI FirePro professional graphics is hardware compliant with DirectX 11®, and ATI FirePro V8800 is the only professional graphics solution capable of supporting DirectCompute 11 today.
As the developer community looks to harness the power and performance associated with heterogeneous architectures, industry standards are needed for developing applications capable of running on all of the available processors in a system. Video is a highly data parallel application and AMD is actively collaborating with consumer and commercial software partners to accelerate transcoding. AMD regularly collaborates with middleware and other video codec providers, such as MainConcept, to help them take advantage of GPU acceleration technologies enabled by AMD’s ATI Stream technology and the OpenCL™ standard.
AMD works closely with leading application providers to optimize ATI FirePro professional graphics, and ATI FirePro professional graphics have been certified on more than 90 applications.
* All ATI FirePro professional graphics are tested against a battery of simulations and real-world scenarios to ensure compatibility and stability.
* AMD also issues regular updates to its unified driver, delivering performance improvements, enhanced features and support across the ATI FirePro family.