Pentax today announced a cheaper version of the *ist DS, the *ist DL digital SLR camera. This 6.1 megapixel camera has a 2.5-inch LCD color display and is an effort from Pentax to bring 'more affordable' digital SLR cameras to the market.
I took a quick look at Amazon and the new Pentax ist DL is pre-selling for $799 with the DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL lens. The camera will be available on August 10, 2005.
Summary of changes (compared to the *ist DS):
- Auto ISO
- 3-area AF (*ist DS was 11 area)
- Wide / spot AF
- Three level 'soft' digital filter
- Continuous shooting buffer reduced to 5 / 3 images (JPEG / RAW)
- Penta-mirror viewfinder instead of Penta-prism, 0.82x magnification
- Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen
- Larger 2.5" LCD monitor
- Removal of high speed sync flash
- Two new languages: Swedish, Dutch
- Slightly lighter (575g vs. 605g)
- Available in black and silver
More info about the Pentax *ist DL can be found at DP Review