MediaTek Inc., a leading fabless semiconductor company for wireless communications and digital multimedia solutions, today announced availability of its MT7650, the world’s first and only 802.11ac plus Bluetooth 4.0+HS combo chip designed for mobile consumer platforms. The MediaTek MT7650 combines the latest IEEE 802.11ac technology, Bluetooth 4.0 LE functionality, and the company’s unprecedented Wi-Fi/Bluetooth coexistence algorithm onto a single die to support high quality voice, data and video transmissions up to 433 Mbps, while enabling ultra low power Bluetooth Low Energy connectivity with health, fitness and other sensors. Moreover, with the complete 802.11ac system (MAC/Baseband/Radio) integrated, customers adopting the MediaTek MT7650 also benefit from easier implementation, faster time to market and reduced manufacturing costs.
The MediaTek MT7650 is compliant with the new 802.11ac standard and leverages the strengths of MediaTek’s industry leading Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth combo chip technologies that are currently shipping in laptops and smartphones. It dramatically improves user experience with 2.8x data rate increase from 150Mbps of single stream 802.11n. This highly integrated chip supports dual band 2.4/5GHz configuration with 80 MHz channel bandwidth, 256-QAM modulation scheme for increased data transfer efficiency, receive beam forming for extended range and capacity, and Space-Time Block Codes (STBC) coding technologies for better wireless coverage. This chip also supports Wi-Fi Display, Wi-Fi Direct and TDLS for full peer-to-peer functionalities between mobile and home consumer products.
“With this advanced combo chip supporting dual band 11ac and dual mode Bluetooth Low Energy, we have further extended our technology leadership in the industry,” said SR Tsai, General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Connectivity & Networking Business Unit. “The demand of high quality digital-content streaming and sharing has increased rapidly. At the same time, peer-to-peer data communication is shifting from wired to wireless connections. Therefore, mobile devices are relying heavily on high quality wireless connections, but the current Wi-Fi technology standard is overwhelmed by all the bandwidth needs. With the latest 802.11ac, the MediaTek MT7650 overcomes these challenges and allows consumers to stream and transfer heavy contents between mobile and home consumer devices much faster and much more reliable with ultra low power consumptions.”
Key product features of the MediaTek MT7650 include:
- All-In-One (MAC/Baseband/Radio) 802.11ac Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0+HS single chip
- Dual band 2.4/5GHz single stream 802.11ac support for up to 433 Mbps data rate (HT80) with antenna diversity
- Supports Wi-Fi Direct and Wi-Fi Display
- Compliant with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, Bluetooth 3.0 + HS and Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Support for BT Class 1 operation for better Bluetooth range
- Advanced WLAN + Bluetooth coexistence algorithm for optimized performance
- Support single antenna configuration for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals to reduce system design cost
- Shared Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signal receiving path to eliminate the need for an external splitter
- Supports Wake-on-WLAN and Wake-on-Bluetooth for reduced power consumption of end devices
- Operating systems support: Windows 7, Windows 8 and Linux
MediaTek reveals WiFi 802.11ac plus Bluetooth 4.0 combo chip
Posted on Friday, Mar 30 2012 @ 20:52 CEST by Thomas De Maesschalck