Over the last decade, networks found their way into nearly every modern household and in recent years we've seen a big increase in the popularity of network-connected cameras. Long gone are the days when footage from your home surveillance system was only viewable on a fixed location in your house, these days you can keep an eye on your property in real-time with your smartphone!
On the test bench today is the TRENDnet TV-IP262P, a Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) Internet camera with megapixel resolution and night view capability. The device has a tamper-resistant dome design and is intended to be mounted to an interior wall or ceiling. The enclosure has no weather proof enclosure so you can't use it outside.
The product ships in a compact, colorful box that highlights the device's features and specifications. The TV-IP262P offers a resolution of up to 1280 x 1024 pixels, it can be powered over Ethernet (PoE), offers night vision for up to 12 meters and has 2-way audio support (microphone and speakers aren't included).
Features and specifications:
Manage up to 32 TRENDnet cameras with the included complimentary camera management software. Define up to three motion detection windows with email alert, image snapshot, and continuous recording triggers. Scheduled recording sessions and define video storage location with Samba client support. Multiple video streaming support for H.264, MPEG-4, and MJPEG compression types. Other features include two-way audio support (mic and speaker sold separately), date/time text overlay, mask overlay to conceal sensitive areas, and image flip capabilities for upside down installations. Integrated cabling allows for easy wall/ceiling mounting and the off-white IP camera housing blends into most environments.
- IEEE 802.3af PoE compliant device
- 1 x 10/100 Mbps PoE Auto-MDIX port
- Optional power port for non-PoE installations
- SD/SDHC card slot*
- Microphone and speaker audio ports
- Tinted dome
- Camera LEDs display link and activity status (can be turned off)
- Supports H.264, MPEG-4, and MJPEG video compression
- 3GPP support
- Resolution up to 1280 x 1024 pixels at up to 15 frames per second (fps) and 640 x 480 pixels at up to 30 fps
- Supports simultaneous video streaming
- Video mirror support (horizontal/vertical) enables upside down installations
- Two way audio (optional third party microphone and speakers required)
- Fully integrated cabling simplifies installation
- Dynamic DNS support
- Images controls: brightness, saturation, and sharpness
- Mask overlays conceal sensitive areas
- Date, time, and text overlays
- Supports TCP/IP networking, email, HTTP, and other Internet protocols
- Record streaming video to your computer or Network Storage device with Samba support
- Three motion detection windows with just-in-time snapshot, motion detection triggered email alerts, and image upload to FTP
- Send instant messages to Jabber client via Jabber Server
- Supports Quality of Service (QoS) with Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP)
- Quick Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) installation
- 3-year limited warranty
Inside the box we find the installation CD, a quick installation guide, some plugs and screws for wall/ceiling mounting and a 1.5-meter long network cable.
A power adapter is included with the device, this cable is only necessary if your network infrastructure doesn't support PoE (Power over Ethernet).