HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.
This minor update squashes a number of glaring bugs. Most notably, HandBrake will no longer hang at the end of encoding MKV files with chapter markers. This means the Animation, Bedlam, Constant Quality Rate, Deux Six Quatre, Film, and Television presets are now usable.
- Impressive performance enhancements
- Significant interface prettification (Mac more than Win)
- Color subtitles now show up in color
- Changing dimensions in Picture Settings no longer causes a crash (Mac)
- Forced subtitle support
- More robust exception handling (Win)
- Closing the main window no longer causes HandBrake to crash (Mac)
- Using "Slow" deinterlacing no longer doubles the chapter count.
- MPEG Stream support is now case-insensitive (.VOB as well as .vob, etc) and more compatible
- No more error messages sent to standard out instead of standard error
- Bigger buffer for the activity log (Mac)
- Proper display of fading subtitles
- On-completion options to shutdown, suspend, etc (Win)
- "Same as source FPS" now works correctly when the end-credits of a progressive film are interlaced.
- Add-to-queue fixed (Win)
- Target size fixed for the umpteenth time (Mac)
...and assorted other changes.
Tools and Utilities
Product page: here