MAME stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. When used in conjunction with an arcade game's data files (ROMs, CHDs, samples, etc.), MAME attempts to reproduce that game as faithfully as possible on a more modern general-purpose system. MAME can currently emulate many thousands of classic arcade video games from the the very earliest CPU-based systems to much more modern 3D platforms.
The ROM and CHD images that MAME requires are "dumped" from arcade games' original circuit-board ROM chips, hard disks, and CD-ROMs. MAME becomes the "hardware" for the games, taking the place of their original CPUs and support chips. Therefore, these games are NOT ports or rewrites, but the actual, original games that appeared in arcades, complete with all the bugs, glitches, slowdowns, and subtleties of the original game as it appeared in the arcade.
MAME's purpose is to preserve these decades of video-game history.
Continued to add const qualifiers on remaining items in the project.
Added explicit clears on Neo Geo initialization. [Haze]
Neo Geo updates: [johnboy]
* Added Neo-Geo game pcb info
* Corrected a number of incorrect ROMs
* Added MVS VERSION tag to fightfva, renamed 'P'-rom
* Added MVS AND AES VERSION tag to joyjoy
* Added AES VERSION tag to kof99
* Added MVS VERSION tag to kof99a
Cleaned up input ports for cave.c and rpunch.c. [Sonikos]
Another big dkong.c driver update: [couriersud]
- wrote M58817 sound driver and hooked it up
Uses tms5110 speech synthesis. LPC format is identical, however
coefficients seem to be different. Until coefficients are known,
samples are used.
- changed dkong/radarscp based games to use hardware-conformant
I8035 memory maps
- Added drakton clone drktnjr on dkongjr hardware
- moved address remapping proms to REGION_USER1 (hunchbkd & co)
- Service now adds credit
- Hooked up coin_counters
- remove GAME_NOT_WORKING GAME_WRONG_COLORS from hunchbkd
- dkongjr: mapped more interface lines between sound and cpu boards
- tagged all inputs, all reads use tag names
- moved more static vars into dkong_state
More major SCSP fixes: [kingshriek]
- Rewrote much of the interpolation code
- Improved key-rate scaling calculation
- Fixed playback of non-looping samples with a zero loop-end address
- Fixed backwards looping mode so that it initially reads forward
until encountering the loop-start address
- Preliminary but reasonable-sounding FM support
- Fixed overflow in frequency calculation
- Improved FM, but it's disabled for now because it doesn't sound
- Improved DSP wet/dry mix (should be correct now)
- Fixed a minor LPSLNK problem
Fixed Hopper Empty and Coin-Out Timeout issues in the peplus.c driver.
Removed obsolete crosshair code. [Oliver Stoneberg]
Fixed several minor memory leaks. [Oliver Stoneberg]
Program Information Category:
Tools and Utilities Type:
Free Version: 0.122 Size: 9.1MB Works on: Windows