Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows
. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
* New: Refreshed user interface with
new icons and visual styling. On Windows 7 and Vista, it is enhanced for Aero
* New effect: Blurs -> Surface Blur, by
* New effect: Distort -> Dents, by Ed
* New effect: Distort -> Crystalize, by
* New: Russian translation.
* Performance and memory usage have been extensively optimized throughout the
* .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is now required, which has many built-in performance
* Disk space usage has been reduced by about 12MB by using NTFS compression on
installation files related to staging (.MSI) and diagnostics (.PDB).
* Compression for .PDN images has been improved.
* Effect dialog responsiveness has been improved.
* Images open much faster, especially on single CPU systems.
* Startup performance on most systems will be better by about 20%.
* Memory usage has been reduced when more than one image is open.
* Rendering quality has been greatly improved when zoomed in.
* The selection outline is no longer animated. Instead of "dancing ants", a
context-sensitive "XOR" stipple pattern is drawn. This has allowed for improved
performance and lowered CPU consumption (and longer battery life).
* The font manager for the Text tool has been completely rewritten, which fixes
many problems seen with crashes and missing fonts.
* On Windows XP, the Text tool has improved reliability and font selection (it
uses GDI instead of GDI+).
* On Windows 7, the Text tool will use DirectWrite (instead of GDI) which gives
better performance and greatly improved quality. On Windows Vista, you may
install DirectX 11 to enable this feature; otherwise GDI will be used.
* The toolbar font list has improved usability, rendering quality, and
significantly improved performance.
* The toolbar font list no longer requires an application restart to recognize
newly installed fonts.
* When many fonts are installed, both memory usage and startup performance have
been greatly improved.
* It is now drastically easier to move a very small selection.
* All installation prerequisites are now installed automatically, such as .NET
and Windows Installer.
* Updates are now downloaded in the background, and installed after you exit the
application. In previous versions, this was a foreground task and you could not
use Paint.NET while the update was downloaded.
* Added a "Utilities" menu. Updates, Languages, and Plugin Errors have been
* Added a "Manage Fonts" command to the Utilities menu. This will launch the
built-in Windows font control panel.
* Clicking the middle mouse button on an image thumbnail will now close the
* Improved the Unfocus effect.
* The DirectDraw Surface (.DDS) file type now allows you to select the
resampling algorithm for auto-generated mip-maps.
* A processor that supports SSE is now required (almost all CPUs purchased this
decade satisfy this).
* Fixed an issue with Gaussian Blur and its treatment of alpha values.
* Fixed a crash with the "Units" selector in the toolbar.
* Fixed a crash due to an overflow that prevented very large images from working
* Fixed many other miscellaneous glitches and crashes.
* The Korean translation has been removed. Sadly, we were unable to find the
resources to complete this.
Program Information Category:
Free Version: 3.5 Size: 4.8MB Works on: Windows