A temporary problem in Messenger [fixed]
You may be noticing the problem in the form of your sharing folder icon gone
missing, your beta invitations having vanished, the entry points to the
messenger phone feature, a few other buttons here and there might not be where
you’re used to seeing them.
Fear not! Nothing is lost except the entry points – and that is
temporary. We’re working now to figure out the problem (to talk to the right
cloud) I’ll post back here when the problems fixed.
To see the results of the happy reunion, sign out of Messenger, exit the
application and sign back in. If you don’t see a fixed version, wait about
30/60 minutes and try again. It takes a little while for the fix to reach
- Integration with the Windows Live the
new Windows Live Sign-in Assistant for IE makes life way easier if you
often sign-in with multiple accounts or share a computer (with people you
trust). The assistant lets the web sign-in page use your saved credentials
just like messenger does - so you can just pick the ID you want instead of
retyping it everytime. Oh, and while we're on the topic of sign-in,
Messenger remembers the display pictures/main window color of each ID, so
when you switch you're KNOW you've picked the right one.
- It’s no Jitterbug or Macarena, but check out the new dancing buddies
during sign-in. Can’t see a difference? Besides better-looking icons,
they’re actually spinning the other direction (we didn’t want them to
get dizzy). Also – the dance is shorter because Login time is WAY faster
than in the previous Betas.
Features & Functionality:
- Sweet Colorization Of the Main Window
- Eye-catching Eye-cons.
- Totally new look for Windows Live Call, Computer to Phone Calling (brought
to you by Verizon, now the MCI is no more)
- “To: Line” moved locations, check it out:
- For you minimalists, you: Hiding Display Pictures in one conversation
window now hides them in every conversation window
- More fun for the minimalists – now you can keep your windows small, but
still get at all the functionality thanks to scrolling toolbar on the
- ...And the main window.
- New default display picture (actually, I think it’s a little strange -
Jasmine thinks "spooky" i think "sad & cold"…maybe
it will encourage people to get a real display picture)
- Overall Performance Improvements. EVERYTHING is faster than it was in 7.5
- Return of the Today Page, known in a previous life as MSN Today. I wonder
if the Today Page team somehow made it sunny in Seattle...
- My personal favorite feature: No more “so-and-so says:” separating
consecutive IMs from the same person. (Turn this on in the Options Menu)
- Copy & paste your friends’ personal messages – especially good if
your friend puts a URL as their message.
- Rhapsody Integration, US only...more on this later this week.
- Answer a Call straight from a toast (until you get a handset, that is)
- New Sounds Management - turn on exactly which sounds you want to play
when. Upload your own sounds to personalize the music of messenger.
Internet and communication
Product page: here