Ubuntu 7.04 is the most user-friendly Ubuntu to date and includes a
ground-breaking Windows migration assistant, excellent wireless networking
support and improved multimedia support. Ubuntu 7.04 server edition adds support
for hardware facilities that speed up the use of virtual machines as well as
other improved hardware support, making it an excellent choice as a web,
database, file and print server, the fastest growing area of Linux server use.
- Windows migration tool: The new migration tool recognises Internet
Explorer bookmarks, Firefox favourites, desktop wallpaper, AOL IM contacts,
and Yahoo IM contacts, and imports them into Ubuntu during installation.
This offers easier and faster migration for new users of Ubuntu and
individuals wanting to run a dual-boot system.
- Easy-to-install codec wizards: A new guided wizard for installing codecs
not shipped with Ubuntu gives users a safe way of installing codecs they can
legally use to view multimedia content.
- Plug and play network sharing with Avahi: This new feature allows users to
automatically discover and join a wireless network and share music, find
printers and more.
- Virtualisation support: On x86 systems with the Intel VT or AMD-V
extensions, Kernel-based Virtual Machine support (KVM) allows users to run
multiple virtual machines running unmodified Linux. Each virtual machine has
private virtualised hardware: a network card, disk, graphics adapter, and so
on. We have also added VMI support, which provides optimised performance
Thin Client highlights
- Thin client: Edubuntu integrates the latest thin client technology out of
the box. Edubuntu Classroom Server consists of two CDs, a server image and a
server add-on image with additional education applications and languages.
- Improved documentation: The Edubuntu handbook with tips and best practices
for educators and educational IT administrators is included.
- Print and sound support: Jetpipe, a new printing architecture for thin
clients, greatly improves on previous technologies. Sound support in
applications is also dramatically improved with the PulseAudio sound server.
- Thin client management: Administrators can now manage thin client
connections to a server more easily.
- On the Desktop: GNOME 2.18, OpenOffice.org 2.2.0rc3, X.org 7.2
- On the Server: Apache 2.2, PostgreSQL 8.2, PHP 5.2.1, LTSP 5.0
- "Under the hood": GCC 4.1.2, glibc 2.5, Linux 2.6.20, Python 2.5
Tools and Utilities
Product page: here