id Software has made a beta Doom 3 update available.
We have released the first update for DOOM 3 as a beta and on a limited scale ( it is only available on the File Shack at www.shacknews.com ). We don't anticipate any issues with it but felt it best to get it into the hands of a few thousand people rather than the entire customer base in case we missed something. We will release the update through our update server for wide release once we have verified there are no problems with it.
We will be releasing another update in the near future that will include Punk Busters cheat protection functionality for DOOM III.
The SDK is also ready to go and as soon as the update is out in non beta form the SDK will be made available for download.
The Linux Dedicated server is also ready to go and will also be available as soon as the update is non beta.
The DOOM 3 demo is also coming in a few days, it is finishing the last stages of QA. It should give everyone waiting to buy the game a taste of what DOOM 3 is all about. It contains 3 levels of the game and is single player only.
Click on "Read more" for a list of all fixes and the download link
Here is a list of the issues fixed in this update:
- Querying a cvar (typing name with no value on the console) now also prints out help text
- Updated some cvar docs
- Fixed desktop crash when loading a QuickSave made when during influence in EPD Lab in Alphalabs 1
- Fixed game freezing if in-game MP menu is opened just after a change map vote
Passes and just before the map changes.
- Fixed duplicate player names shutting down a server during map changes
- Fixed scrolling lists with arrow keys while holding control crashing game
- Added toggle functionality to movement commands (i.e. toggle crouch as opposed to holding the button down) - Added in_togglecrouch, in_togglerun, & in_togglezoom
- Added dialog to multiplayer video settings menu telling user that changes require exiting game before they'll take effect
- Fixed remote password field only displaying 3-4 characters at a time. - Fixed g_voteFlags so that spectator and nextmap could be individually toggled - Made print screen bindable.
- Made Alt-Gr (right alt) bindable separately for European versions. For english
versions, right alt and left alt both bind as "alt" so that US users who currently have something bound to right alt don't have their config affected by the update.
- Added mouse wheel scrolling to server list (gui list boxes).
- Bumped damage up on rocket jumping in multiplayer
- Decreased damage from chaingun to 25 in multiplayer
- Exploding barrels to full damage to attacker in multiplayer
- Increased height for falling damage in multiplayer
- Made r_skipNewAmbient, r_skipSpecular, r_skipBump, and r_shadows cheat protected
- Made g_fov modifiable in mutiplayer from 90 to 110
- Changed server protocol version from 1.33 to 1.34
- Changed idEntity::SetName to allow entities to be named after startup during network games
- Changed idClass::PostEventArgs to allow script threads to post events during network games
- Changed net_allowCheats to allow cheat commands during network games
- Fixed projectile launched from wrong position when player exits teleporter while holding fire
- Fixed rocket launcher dealing no splash damage to player at certain angle in Edge 2
- Fixed light from flashlight remaining after player is killed.
- Fixed frags going negative when over 64. Maxfrags now at 100.
- Fixed -1/1 ammo count while dropping weapon in multiplayer
- Fixed no rockets in view-model rocket launcher when first picked up - Exploding barrels now give credit for kills to the player who damaged the barrel in multiplayer
- Fixed chaingun flickering on/off when spectating another player in Tourney - Fixed no "You lose" message being played for loser in Last Man Standing.
- Added join messages when players join an MP game.
- Fixed players stuck spectating when no spectators vote is passed.
- Added chat and connection interrupted icons - Fixed Frag Chamber doors killing player if they're moving towards them just as they
open (kill trigger was turned off too late in the script).
- Added build for a dedicated server executable (DooM3Ded.exe) on Win32.
- Fixed problems with server list:
- wrong server being joined when sorting
- wrong server being joined when filtering
- server list not being sorted initially by ping.
- Chat text no longer converts high-ASCII chars to periods
- Fixed problem with players logging on and being stuck in spectator mode, yet not really spectating
- Fixed Incorrect scoring information appears on scoreboard - Fixed backpack secret exploit on d3dm5 "Lights Out"
- Added chat/lag icons
- Elevators now return to their home position even if someone is standing on them
- r_aspectRatio now uses 0, 1, or 2 (4:3, 16:9, 16:10)
- Fixed in-game videos disappearing if you go to the menu and return
- Fixed inconsistent worldview of players exiting teleporter. SOUNDS
- Fixed weapon sounds always playing the first sound in a sound shader instead of randomly picking one.
- Fixed bullet ricochet sound when punching glass.
- Localized key names in bind menus
- Localized multiplayer text
* warmup text
* spectator text
- "QuickSave" name in save / load menu is now localized
- Fixed key binding issues with European (Italian, French, Spanish) keyboards
* all keys should be bindable now
* this includes modifying scan tables
- Fixed pickup items not being localized. Not fixed in MP, as this would require
including the .map files in the update. Any user maps created with update code should have the correct string id required for localization, however.
- Fixed "General Access" not being localized on PDAs.
- Added pure exclusions for all files that were causing pure server connection problems between mixed languages.
- Localized "Press any key..." in binding menus.
- Localized messages that client receives from the server when kicked or the server
- Localized "Server Full" message.
- Fixed Huffman encoding in decl manager so all characters have a minimum frequency
of one. This allows an optimal bit code length and fixes a memory overrun assert
and crash when loading Russian decls.
- Map names in Save / Load menu are now localizable.
- Removed hard coded english text from "Player is ready" message in MP.
- Fixed Italian accented i showing up as ^ and vice versa