The DirectX 10 patch for Company of Heroes is finally available. The biggest change in COH Patch 1.70 is the support for DirectX 10 graphics, the following effects have been added:
- Per-pixel lighting for all objects
- Percentage Closer Filtering (PCF) shadows: Multi-tap PCF shadows utilize
Shader Model 4.0 sample comparison functions for softer, more realistic shadows
- Shadows for omnidirectional point lights: supports up to 4 simultaneous
point lights with shadows using DX10's render-to-cubemap and Geometry Shader
- Soft particles. Particle effects smoothly blend on contact with terrain
and other objects improving visual quality.
- CSAA support (Coverage Sampling Antialiasing): CSAA produces antialiased
images that rival the quality of 8x or 16x MSAA, while introducing only a
minimal performance hit over standard MSAA.
- Short volumetric grass using DX10-instanced terrain shells
- DX10-instanced foliage and ambient objects
- DX10 alpha to coverage (transparency antialiasing)