Another issue with the Large Hadron Collider was discovered this week. Apparently, a piece of bread dropped by a bird on a section of outdoor machinery was enough to cause overheating in parts of the accelerator of this multi-billion dollar machine. Had the particle accelerator been running the bread would have caused it to fail safe and shut down automatically, putting the machine out of action for a couple of days while it was restarted. The restart of the LHC is slated for later this month.
Now, a bird dropping a piece of bread on a section of the accelerator has, according to the Register, shut down the whole operation.
The bird dropped some bread on a section of outdoor machinery, eventually leading to significant over heating in parts of the accelerator. The LHC was not operational at the time of the incident, but the spike produced so much heat that had the beam been on, automatic failsafes would have shut down the machine.