Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).
Cobian Backup exists in two different versions: application and service. The program uses very few resources and can be running on the background on your system, checking your backup schedule and executing your backups when necessary. Cobian Backup is not an usual backup application: it only copies your files and folders in original or compressed mode to other destination, creating a security copy as a result. So Cobian Backup can be better described as a "Scheduler for security copies".
Cobian Backup supports several methods of compression and strong encryption.
* Version 9 released. This is freeware as always but NOT OPEN SOURCE (See my
* Support for Volume Shadow Copies. You will be able to backup locked files
* 7zip method added. SQX is now gone.
* Pause added to all operations
* An interface instance closes now all other existing instances
* The update function can now use SOCKS proxy
* SMTP can now use SOCKS
* SMTP can now use SSL
* Autostart the interface can now be set for all users or the current user
* Autostart options are now playing fair with administrator’s rights
* Start a backup when autostart
* The remote directories are now created from the top to the root, thus
minimizing the risk for Permission problems
* Downloading files shows now the percent
* FTP operations can now use UTF transfers is the server support it
* FTP operations use now UNICODE for local operations
* Zip files can now store file names in UNICODE
* Checking an archive could sometimes delete the archived files. Fixed.
* Prettier about boxes
* Icon in task properties for Manual AND ftp where swapped
* IPC via MMF is now gone
* The update server can now use MSSQL for logs or can use no logs at all
* Checking archives wrongly displayed Compressing using the verbose log
* CobDeleter is now an integral part of the UI
* Fixed the old “Error while connecting to :21:" error
* A brand new, improved help file and tutorial
* A remote client allows you to control the program from any other computer
* Date/Time and Password utilities added
* In the Update function fails, the next one will be checked after 16 hours
and not after 10 minutes. Enough of server hammering!
* The balloon now appears exactly near the system tray. Good calculation.
* The uninstall part of the setup is now truly automatic
* You can change the remote options for the auto-setup as well
2007-09-27 version 220.127.116.11
* Vista manifests added to all the executable files. This prevents some
problems with Vista virtualization (the engine and the interface were , in some
cases, not communicating well)
* Chinese- simplified language updated
* Portuguese-br language updated
* Romanian language added
* French translation updated
* Russian translation updated
* Some errors in the english tutorial have been corrected
* Swedish language updated