What Is in Service Pack 2?
Service Pack 2 provides convenient, comprehensive access to the latest
updates, enhancements, and new features for Windows Server 2003. Each of these
components allows customers to better leverage the enhanced security,
reliability, and performance of Windows Server 2003.
Update management is one of the great challenges of computer security. Despite
the challenges of update management, updates will continue to play a vital
role in securing enterprise IT until security technology can anticipate every
attack strategy and compensate for every vulnerability. Frequent updating is
key to keeping up with security problems as they are discovered. By
cumulatively bundling these updates together in Service Pack 2, Microsoft
provides customers with the latest protection for Windows Server 2003.
In addition to the all previously released Security Bulletin Updates,
Service Pack 2 installs all individual hotfixes released since Windows Server
2003 RTM and several key customer requested features and enhancements.
Enhancements to Existing Features
- Scalable Networking Pack (SNP)
Each of these key updates, enhancements, and new features provided with Windows
Server 2003 SP2 will be covered in greater detail in the following sections.
- Windows Deployment Services (WDS)
- Enabling ‘Firewall Per Port’ Authentication
- Microsoft Management Console 3.0 (MMC 3.0)
- Wireless Protected Access 2 (WPA2)
- iCACLS tool
- Expanded Windows Server 2003 Datacenter SKUs
- Release of MUI Packs to insure greater compatibility between base and MUI
- Performance Improvements for SQL Servers
- Enhanced discoverability options in MSConfig
- Improved IPsec filter management
- Performance Improvements under Windows Virtualization
- Increased default storage for Message Queuing
- Improvements to DCDIAG Domain Name Service tests
- New Events for Cluster Service Accounts
In addition, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 supports 9 new localized
languages for the Windows Server 2003 x64 SKUs.
Patches and updates
2003 Service Pack 2
Windows Server 2003
Product page: here