Some time ago on the 28th of July OpenGL 1.5 and his specifications were revealed on Siggraph in San Diego
Warp2Search had a talk with Terry Makedon from ATI about the current 3D Cards from ATI because they promise OpenGL 2.0 compatibility in their marketing material :
Products from the RADEON 9500 and higher are capabable of supporting OpenGL 1.5, but we also need the driver to support these extensions.
Support will be through a driver update and I can't comment on when right now. We are finishing up some coding for this and are on a fast track for implementing it.
The claim of OpenGL 2.0 (compliance) is correct, but obviously we can't officially support it in our drivers until it is released to the public.
Some new features of OpenGL 1.5 :
* Vertex Buffer Object: vertex arrays for higher performance rendering
* Shadow Function: additional comparison functions for shadow mapping
* Occlusion Query: asynchronous occlusion test for better culling
* Non power-of-two Textures: for more efficient use of texture memory, including mipmaps
* OpenGL Shading Language v. 1.0: as official extensions more specifically, shader objects, vertex shaders, and fragment shaders, all for use of programmable shader hardware