Microsoft shows off the Touch Mouse, a new mouse that supports multi-touch gestures to make it easier to navigate Windows. The Touch Mouse will start shipping in June for $79.95.
Microsoft Touch Mouse is the new multitouch mouse for Windows 7 that will let you click, flick, scroll and swipe so it's easy and fun to interact with your PC.
Designed to enhance your Windows 7 usage, the Touch Mouse combines the virtues of a mouse with the rich natural language of gesture to offer a more intuitive way to navigate your PC. Touch Mouse also features BlueTrack Technology so you can track virtually anywhere, anytime.1
Behind the Scenes
Did You Know?
The Touch Mouse evolved from the Mouse 2.0 project, a Microsoft Corp. study that combined the standard capabilities of a mouse with multitouch sensing and resulted in five prototypes. Although all the Mouse 2.0 prototypes explored different touch- sensing strategies and form factors, the "Cap Mouse" was ultimately selected to become the Touch Mouse.
The top of the Touch Mouse is composed of a matrix of capacitive touch-sensing electrodes to track the position of the user's fingertips along its surface.
Hrvoje Benko, one of the researchers behind the Touch Mouse, worked to create the technology and gestures for this new mouse. He is available for interviews if you are interested in learning more about the development of Touch Mouse.
Top Features and Benefits
- New! Multitouch surface lets you use natural gestures to snap, navigate and control content with a touch of a finger.
- New! Flick scrolling functionality lets you quickly scroll and pan through windows and documents.
- New! Improved task switching on Windows 7 gives you superior mouse performance and experience on the PC.
- BlueTrack Technology allows you to ditch your mouse pad and mouse on virtually any surface,1 including granite, marble, carpet and wood.
- Snap-in Nano transceiver gives you the option to leave the transceiver plugged into the computer or conveniently store it in the bottom of the mouse.
- 2.4GHz wireless technology gives you a confident wireless connection.
- Ambidextrous design for use with either hand.
Touch Mouse Gestures - Easy as 1, 2, 3
Touch Mouse lets you do everything you're used to doing with a mouse, such as point and click, but also adds gestures with one, two or three fingers to amplify the Windows 7 operating system by creating simple shortcuts to the tasks you want to do most.
Shorter Shortcuts for Windows 7
With the Touch Mouse, you can use your mouse to do tasks that normally involve the keyboard.