AMD x86 marketshare hits highest level since 2006

Posted on Friday, Aug 13 2021 @ 21:53 CEST by Thomas De Maesschalck
AMD
Mercury Research reports AMD has hit its highest x86 marketshare since late 2006. Over the last quarter, the company saw gains in the laptop and server market. In the mobile market, AMD now has 20.0 percent, up 1.9 percent vs Q1 2021. In the server market, AMD gained 0.6 percent to 9.5. Interestingly, the company lost desktop processor marketshare to Intel. AMD's desktop CPU marketshare slipped 2.3 percent to 17.1 percent in Q2 2021.

Dean McCarron from Mercury Research says the desktop CPU share loss was a strategic choice from AMD. The company is limited in terms of production capacity and shifted production to products with higher margins.

Including console chips, which are x86 too, AMD accounted for 22.5 percent of the x86 processor market in Q2 2021. There are only two major x86 processor makers left so the remaining 77.5 percent is Intel's share of the market.

ARM is now 7 percent of the PC market

Another interesting tidbit concerns the marketshare of ARM. McCarron points out that ARM is now estimated to account for about 7 percent of the PC processor market, if you include ARM-based Chromebooks and Apple Mac computers with the M1 SoC.


About the Author

Thomas De Maesschalck

Thomas has been messing with computer since early childhood and firmly believes the Internet is the best thing since sliced bread. Enjoys playing with new tech, is fascinated by science, and passionate about financial markets. When not behind a computer, he can be found with running shoes on or lifting heavy weights in the weight room.



Loading Comments