Sunbeam EL Strip reviewYet another Sunbeam product in DV Hardware's test lab! It's colored, 1.2cm width, 150cm long and it gives off a colored light what is it? An EL Strip!
Sunbeams EL Strip is basically available in orange, yellow, blue, green, light red, and many other colors.
First here's a quick look at the specifications and features of the EL Strip :
Sunbeams EL Strip came in a nice-looking retail package. The EL Strip kit consists out of the 2 parts :
- The EL Strip which is about 1.2cm thick (1cm is for the EL Strip wire and about 1mm on both the left and right is from the plastic sheets that protect the EL Strip wire) and it's 1.5m long. It has an adhesive backside so you can stick it to almost anywhere you want it to stick at.
- A small inverter with an adhesive backside so you can hang it in your case wherever you want it. Small negative note about this inverter : It produces a rather noisy buzzing sound although Sunbeam says it's quieter than inverters from other manufacturers. Mostly you won't even hear it actually because it isn't as loud as most fans so only when you have a very very quiet system you'll hear it. So it's safe to say that most users won't even hear the sound that it produces.
The EL Strip doesn't give off as much light as for example a Cold Cathode but I do have to say that it gives a nice effect! It's just bright on its own unique way and capable of lighting up a specific part of your case, like the edges.
EL Strip can be used for many various modding projects, but one of its biggest limitations is its bad bendability, you can't bend it either to the left or to the right like EL Cables. So I think EL Cables are a better choice than EL Strips because they are more bendable and also because they have more usages (Like keyboard mods, around windows and fan holes,...) But you can still do many things with EL Strips as long as you're creative and use it on flat surfaces like the borders of your case or monitor.
- It's a cool gimmick
- The light looks cool especially in dark
- It's cutable
- Inverter can power up 2 EL Strips
- The EL Strip is cutable
- EL Strip doesn't generate any heat
- Has many usages if your creative
The bad stuff :
- Inverter produces a small annoying buzzing sound
- Limited bendability
Added: February 8th 2003
Product reviewed: Sunbeam EL Strip
Related Link: Sunbeam