avast! Free Antivirus is perfect for people who send e-mails and surf popular websites.
* Built an entirely new user interface. The old car stereo interface is gone replaced with a very modern and easy to use graphical interface.
* Eliminated the email registration process. The free product still lasts for a year but now it only takes seconds online to register the product. All a person has to now do is to click a “register” button—no forms to fill out and no email information to provide.
* Added a gaming mode—elements of this were there in 4.8 but now we have made this a central function. No need to buy someone else’s “gaming” product. All the capability is right here in the free product.
* Ensured protection is top-notch. This was also a hallmark of the 4.8 version. We have long believed that free products should provide just as much malware protection as paid products. So in addition to the signature-based AV protection that you would expect, you also get all the modern detection techniques. Central to this is protection against web threats. These are 85% of the threats our users see—and the free product provides protection against them. There are also heuristic detections, behavioral detections, and just about any type of protection you can think of.
* Continued our hands-off approach to asking for money. We don’t agree with how many free products try to monetize their free users. So with us, we don’t hide the free product (it is front and center on our home page); you will not see a daily pop-up asking you to upgrade; the product will not find problems and then ask for money to fix them; and we won’t scare you into upgrading. Now of course, there are sales messages. There is a message when you download the free product. There is a message when you register the free product. And at expiration time a year later, there is a message. But in all of this messaging, you are presented two choices: download/register the free product or upgrade to a premium product. The choice is yours.
* Today January 19th, the free product (and all products) is being released in English and French. Over the next 10 days we will be rolling out the product in Czech, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Polish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
Tools and Utilities
Product page: here